Holy Creative Breakthrough, Batman!

(Click any image to open it bigger, in a new tab)

So, I saw this idea to draw “in the style of” an artist you admire, and then try that style, multiple times, and try and make it your own…..  This sounds like a fabulous idea.

One of my all-time favorite artists is Deb Weiers (@debweiersart).  Her stuff is really hard to describe.  It’s generally figurative, distorted, imaginative, often with text….  It seems to me like something that would come out of a wild, maybe wicked, dream……….

For my first go, I pretty much copied part of one of her journal pages, and got this.  (Go to her InstaGram page to see her original, I won’t post it here because that might not be the right thing to do.)

I’m really happy with it, and the weird thing is, if I had drawn this on my own, I would have said in my head “this is stupid, don’t show anyone this…”.  But if I could have HER paintings hanging on my walls, I would be OVER THE MOON!!  Sooooooooo, what is that about?  I can draw fairly realistically, and this style is so NOT that.  Why do I think people will “think it’s stupid”?  And also, who cares what they think, since I love love love this style…..

So, OK, onto the next piece, totally out of my head:

I LOVE THIS PIECE!  It’s hilarious.  I just had the thought “woman kissing a fish”, but then I drew the fish in the wrong direction, and went with it anyway, and it’s AWESOME!  Yes, I would do this Big (it’s just a page in my journal) and hang this on the wall and LOVE it.

OK, so then it prompted me to think “woman with fish slippers” and “cowboy with fish”, and really trying “woman kissing fish”.  Doing these two little drawings generated SO MANY IDEAS in my head!!!  That is the BEST – let’s DO THIS!!  And ignore the Art Police!

Dancin’ in the moonlight
Everybody’s feelin’ warm and bright
It’s such a fine and natural sight
Everybody’s dancin’ in the moonlight

And my absolute FAVORITE out of this group – I have NO IDEA what made it pop into my head:

I will add color to all of these, but at this point, I’m really enjoying just drawing and creating some funky, weird, original stuff…….

This entry was posted in Abstract, Acrylics, ArtEveryDay, Challenge, Drawings, Faces, Figurative, Journal, Moleskine, MultiMedia, Series, Theme, Travel Journal, Watercolor, WeeklyChallenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Holy Creative Breakthrough, Batman!

These are the really YOU………………..I love them!!!!!!!!

My comment would be that even though your drawings look haphazard, I can see a fair amount of planning, ie., arms in front, feet “in” the fish slippers, most of the fingers have joints. And the fact that you come up with these ideas is amazing….well maybe not so amazing as your brain is on a different wavelength a lot of the time. I think my favourite in the dancing in the moonlight. They are all great.

Thanks! And Yes, that is true. I do a REALLY rough sketch in pencil to figure our basic placement, but I then do it over in ink, right away, without having time to second-guess myself. I’m keen to see if color will make them better or not. I’ll also add paper ephemera as well, I think….

• Jennifer Adams says:

I had to look up the definition of ephemera…..so sure…add some paper ephemera now that I know what it means.

Wild, Wierd and wonderful. Really love it…and so you. I think a lot of your stuff has been working up to this and I can really see it with colour.

4. Susanne says:

SO COOL … Wacky and wonderful … Love the fish slippers .. and your text is great .. keep up the great work ..

5. Lou says:

Really wild, looking forward to your developing these. Sure did make me smile and shake my head:)