Clay Play Date

I was so lucky to have a friend come over and play in the studio with me the other day.

Us2 Us1
Lauren had the idea of creating wall-hung fish to hang on her yard fence.  I knew that anything she made would be wonderfully, insanely demented.  She’s worked with clay once or twice before with me, and knows the basics, so I gave her very little instruction, and she made the most awesome pieces.  And man, that girl works FAST!!  She was just slammin’ her stuff together, it was awesome!

While offering hints ‘n tips, I was putting together an octopus.  I’d like to make a few for the show that are meant to hang on a wall, and go around corners.  Since I’d never built an octopus before (ha, that sounds sooooooo ridiculous….), this was an experimental piece.  It turned out really well, but had some design flaws that meant it was not a keeper.  Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of it before I smashed it back into a ball of clay.

But fortunately, I DID get a few snaps of Lauren’s crazy fish.  The first one will be chasing the second one, when hung on the fence.

FishA1 FishA2 FishB1 FishB2 Hard At Work

What’s better than being with a friend AND being creative?  Well, maybe sitting in the yard afterwards sipping a glass of wine……..What an awesome day.

This entry was posted in Classes, Clay, Fish, Sculpture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Clay Play Date

Awesome fish Lauren

2. Lauren says:

Cher can make an artist out a monkey. She was so patient and had such great ideas that took a humdrum piece of work that I was willing to settle for and with,a few comments (double dog dare your to try it this way) voila !! a really fun piece of work that looks much more alive and playful.

Cher you need to hold workshops and let other folks have as much fun learning how they can be as creative as they can be 🙂

I love the demented detail in your fish, Lauren

Really awesome…and sounds so much fun. Do you have to fire them or are they good as are? Do they get painted in the end? Love their expressiveness. Moe

They’re greenware, which means they have not yet been fired. They’ll be fired once, then Lauren will color them with acrylic paints. And of course, she’ll use wild and crazy colors….

5. The Favorite One says:

Love the fish. Too bad about the octopus

6. Gwen says:

Love the details!

7. Paulie says:

Great fish Lauren!! They’ll look great hung up outside on your fence – and the fishermen in your family will love them…..

8. Susanne says:

Hey Lauren .. awesome work.. Looks sooooo fun!! Great creative ideas,.. Sorry not to have seen your octopus creation!!! Make another Cher!! xox Suz