Abstracts – not as easy as you might think!

So, I got back in the studio today, and I’ve been wanting to try an Abstract Poured Painting.  Here’s an example of a good one:

Multiple Canvasses

Credit:  http://www.destinywomack.com/

I mean, really, how hard can it be?  Clearly you just pour a bunch of paint on a canvas, et voila – a masterpiece!  yeah, as if……..

I decided to try a small one first (10×10), researched it a bit, was very conscious of my color palette, and kept it limited so that I wouldn’t end up with mud.

Did the pour – oh man, soooooooooooo bad, such an epic FAIL that it made me laugh out loud.  Not to be deterred, I still tried to make something of the painting, and decided that by pouring white paint in a clever artistic way, I could make it look kinda-sorta like jellyfish.  Jellyfish gone mad.  Evil creepy jellyfish…………

Evil Jellyfish1 Evil Jellyfish2

Yeah, not so much……I ended up with a bunch of distorted Casper-the-Ghosts……..

Soooooooooo, I scraped all the paint off, and then ran the whole canvas under the tap, and got this very interesting background!  Love it, keeping it, going to work with it!

Background1 Background2
Somebody said that if you’re not failing, you’re not trying hard enough.  If that’s true, then it’s fairly evident here that I tried hard, ha!

This entry was posted in Abstract, Acrylics, Pouring Paint and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Abstracts – not as easy as you might think!

Love that your staying with it. I can see the distorted Casper-the-ghosts, and the jelly fish…..what’s next???

2. velcherup says:

Totally understand what you saying.. I have made a mess on quite many boards only to retreat. Now I know… I need to try harder 🙂

And as I’m sure you’ve heard a million times – you only get better if you push your limits and put in the time……..Thanks for looking at my site!

3. The Favorite One says:

I would have hung it on my wall

I’m glad you came up with Casper, cause that was my first impression. And the washed off look is kinda creepy too. But in a good way.

5. Paulie says:

I can actually see Casper and the Jelly Fish – not as abstract as you think. Looking forward to see what you can do with the washed-off look.