The Art Show (July 2014)

Well, the show was quite an experience.   I know you’re wondering if I sold any paintings – not a single one!  I’m bummed by this, but from what we could see, NO ONE sold any paintings.  The event was not advertised at all, and the turn-out was bleak.  The food vendors with free samples were walking around with HUGE trays of goodies, practically begging people to eat their stuff – obviously THEY had expected much bigger crowds as well.

This was primarily a Wine Tasting, and the “Artisans in Attendance” were secondary to the event.  I believe, because of this, people were not there to buy art, they were there to drink wine.  So, another lesson learned – I’ll choose events that are specifically designated as Art Shows.

In spite of no sales, this was still a very positive experience.  I was really pleased with the set up for displaying my paintings.  These photos were taken before we’d moved our vehicles.

Rotary Wine and Art July 2014 (11) Rotary Wine and Art July 2014 (4) Rotary Wine and Art July 2014 (9)

Not sure what I’m doing in the next photo – apparently I think I’m a spy and I’m hiding from Russian Agents or something…….

Rotary Wine and Art July 2014 (8)

The next two photos show a better view of the Wire Shelving that I used for my “walls”.

Clamps2 Clamps1

Lorna was enormously helpful, and she and I and another artist (Andy) sat and people-watched and chatted.  The weather was gorgeous, the location was fabulous, so all-in-all, a good experience.

Some things that I came away with were

Make your price tags BIG; if you think your Font is big enough, make it two fonts bigger!

Don’t put things in sealed plastic sleeves; if they sit in the sun, the plastic mists up inside and marks whatever is in the sleeve.

Check that there is either an ATM on site, or the Sponsors of the event have a way to do financial transactions on your behalf (I don’t yet have a way of taking payment, other than cash or cheque).

I am so glad that I attended this event – I learned a lot, AND I now have a “body of work”!

This entry was posted in Acrylics, Art Show Preparation and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Art Show (July 2014)

Sounds like a great experience and I have to admire you for putting yourself out there for the first time.

2. Dave And Debbie Brodie says:

Glad you came away with a positive experience. Too bad nobody had a sale though.

Well, at least I have my crab picture from a soon to become famous artist!

Thanks for the pictures

Deb b

The Brodies

Yeah, you hold onto that picture, girl!! 50 Years from now, you might see Maddie on “Antiques Road Show” and she’ll be showing a painting by her Gramma (me!) and they’ll tell her it’s worth Kjillions and Kjillions of dollars, ha!

3. Marcia says:

Cheryl McKittrick!!!!!!! Don`t you dare feel bummed about the event. This was an information gathering event and look at what you have to show for it my dear friend. You did it and you did it well! Bravo!
    (ps,,,, I forgot your middle name or I would have used those too!)

4. The Favorite One says:

Just think, For your next show you have all those fantastic paintings to show. You did GREAT!!!!

Yeah, and I’ll have even more, ’cause I’m still keen to do a few more in that “outline” style. Next, I’ll be doing some abstracts………..big big abstracts……….

5. Susanne Bourgh says:

Sorry to hear the dismal turn out !!! Next time will be better .. have you thought of having a show at your place sometime?? If you do ..maybe all your friends can invite friends to come?? Just a thought .. I am proud of you for getting your stuff out there … and the amount of prolific painting you did in preparation!!! Cheers Susanne

Thank you, girlie, you (and everyone else) always make me feel like a SuperStar!! I WILL be in more art shows, don’t worry – ideally two per year. I think having a “show” at our place would make people feel obligated to buy art, especially since I’d be like “are ya gonna buy somthin’, huh, are ya are ya are ya???? How ’bout now, are ya gonna buy somethin’ now? huh? Huh? huh? ha ha aha hahahha ahhhahah

6. maureen beamish says:

Cher, Glad you’re not discouraged by the experience…and I think you’re right….a high price tag sometimes validates the customers appreciation as in, she must be good. I think it’s really great that you’re shifting to the commercial side of your art. Shows a certain confidence. Have you thought about other means of showing…trendy restaurants as an example? Just back from my cycle trip in New York state. It was a good time…lots to see and do…good company…lots of fresh air and exercise. It’s interesting to see how Canadians are perceived in other countries. We have a reputation for being friendly even in the US. I have found this everywhere and it seems to bring out the friendly in others. Itt’s one of the things I enjoy about travel…the people. Flying to Nfld. next Thurs. Very excited. Lots to do between now and then and keep looking into my art room longingly. Am trying to resist as I get too obsessed. Hope you are enjoying your summer. Give my best to all. Moe Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 18:21:54 +0000 To: m.beamish@sympatico.ca

Putting art in local establishments, such as restaurants, IS a really good idea, Moe. I’ve thought about it, but haven’t done anything to make that happen……yet……… I might, thanks for reminding me of that option. Once you’re back in the studio, please send me pics of your work, I just love seeing it.