Damn Tiger – Revisited

So, 5 previous posts were about a tiger’s head done in watercolors on a huge piece (30″ x 20″) of 300 lb wc paper.  One I tore up, and one had some good bits in it, but overall, neither piece was a keeper.  I’m painting in a new style now, in acrylics, that involves going over the finished piece with thin scribbly black lines (acrylic).  I decided, since I had nothing to lose, to try this technique on the watercolor Damn Tiger; I mean I painted right on top of the existing watercolor piece.  Oh man, it turned out SO WELL!!!

Here’s the original piece, in watercolor.

Here’s the finished piece, overpainted in acrylics.

I LOVE this piece!!  I’ve also done 3 fish in this style, with non-standard colors and black outlining – I think I’ve finally found MY style!

This entry was posted in Acrylics, outline scribble style, Tiger, Watercolor and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Damn Tiger – Revisited

Lucky me, Cher gave me the “Damn Tiger”, anxious to have it framed and hanging on our wall.

2. The Favorite One says:

I realy like it, show us the fish too.

3. Moe says:

Don’t fully understand the process but love the outcome. Think it’s great you keep experimenting with different techniques.

I love how you can paint white acrylic over top, which makes it pop. Also the blending of colours is great and the black squiggly lines are definitely your style.

yeah, the white was the last bit that I added. It was way too bright, so I toned it down with a wash of Payne’s Gray (you can’t tell that from the photo).

5. Lauren says:

Hard to believe he is the same tiger. I liked both versions, what you started with and the finale outcome. Do another tiger 🙂 with the wispy jungle background. … Love the eyes