Luggage!!!

Whenever we’re travelling, I’m always so envious of people with really groovy luggage, so I decided to paint mine. I’d seen a few instances of it on the ‘net, mostly artist’s carry-on bags, but I decided to paint my biggest piece of luggage. Sure, why not; never done it before; how hard can it be?? Well, it turns out that it’s not hard at all!! I used artist-quality acrylic paints, and I am SO happy with these two pieces! In hindsight, it might’ve been smarter to do them both in a theme, so that they looked like they matched, but I’m over that….maybe next time….

Some things I learned as I was doing it:
– Do a couple of coats of Gesso before you start laying down color, or you will waste a LOT of color. My luggage is soft-sider, and the material just sucked the paint up like a sponge.
– Be patient and really let it dry between coats, or you will lay your arm in the wet paint and smear it and make a hellish mess.
– Make sure you paint it at least 2 weeks before you intend to use it so that the paint has time to “cure”.

Luggage_Both SuperWoman1

SuperWoman2  SuperWoman3

SuperWoman4  SuperWoman5

SuperWoman6  SuperWoman7

SuperWoman8  SuperWoman9

Dancer1  Dancer2

Dancer3  Dancer (4)

Gallery | This entry was posted in Acrylics, Luggage and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Luggage!!!

You are the most creative person I have ever met. I get so excited after looking at one of your finished projects…the possibilities of what I could try….and yet, another day goes by..and I have not even tried. I do however, play outside, where I get full enjoyment.

I can’t believe you say
      …and I have not even tried…

I asked you if you wanted to draw – you tried it. I asked you if you wanted to paint – you tried it. I asked you if you wanted to play in clay – YOU ROCKED IT!!!!

It is very unique. Do you think it will stay on the carousel? Very fun.

Yeah, I actually thought that someone might be tempted to steal my bag, ’cause it’s soooo groovy! I know Paul is not thrilled with having to haul my weirdo luggage off the carousel, but he DID say that he thought it was really really well done.

3. Robyn says:

I love the fact you painted on your luggage….I’m still afraid to write on anything other than paper! You are my fearless art hero…even if you forget to put on your costume ’cause your bras are pretty and you probably paint on them too!!!

Actually, I DID once paint on Paul’s Underwear – a bee-yooo-tee-ful Salmon, very detailed and realistic, so that he had lucky Fishing Underwear. And yep, he wore ’em!

Only you would paint Paul’s underwear